Pages

Teaching Writing Through Facebook


The title of my posting now is about teaching writing through facebook.

I am an English teacher at senior high school in SMAN 3 Blitar, East Java, Indonesia. Although my native language isn't English but the government makes it as one of compulsory subjects to be tested in a final examination which is held by the central government. Thus, the position of English language in Indonesia is significant.

The problem of an English teacher in Indonesia, which I assume, to be the problem of an English teacher around the world whose English is a foreign language, are the limited chance to learn and to practice English for daily communication and the low motivation of students in learning English since the language isn't used in both formal and informal use.

Since the chance to learn is limited, due to the time allotment, then I think, by using Facebook as a social networking site which is very popular among students to socialize with their friends, will be fruitful. Beside, the motivation of students in learning this language will be, hopefully, increased.

In my class action research dealing with improving writing skill by using Facebook, it has been proven that this tool can enhance the students' competency in writing hortatory text based on the significant increase at their writing scores.

Based on my questionnaire, most students like keeping in touch with their teacher in learning English writing and socialize to their friends in English.

Facebook offers me and students the feature which is called Facebook group. By using the feature, I can make a special discussion with students, especially in giving them thorough guidance by online at their writing process. Therefore, the limiting time allotment will be solved for the course is conducted online.

In order to avoid misuse of the feature, I manage the group into secret where only invited Facebook users, especially from the class, can participate in reading, commenting, and writing the post.

I am happy now to see the fact that my students are very active and able to show me about their progress in learning writing.

Currently, I have just finished my class action research, the title is "Utilizing Teacher Feedback Given Through Facebook to Improve the Writing Skill of Eleventh Graders at SMAN 3 Blitar" you can download the abstract for free at this link.

Thanks.