Pages

Does video games disturb learning process?

The title of my article is simple to answer but the answer may vary because there must be logical answer. Many times ago, I believed that video games may disturb the learning process since such game consume much time so that students don't have time to learn the lesson. However, when I once saw my son was playing game I was surprised to see that in order to operate games, the users should understand English because there were so many games instructions were written in English but my son, who is only 10 years old, able to operate the games.

There were so many difficult words and my sons had to asked me "Dad what is the meaning of  destination?" and "Dad, what does castle mean?" and still many more. I assumed, by doing so, my son was learning such new words unintentionally. Therefore, it would increase his vocabularies and it must good for him to learn English in a fun situation.

Of course every method in learning English has its own positive and negative side. The positive was that my son, or perhaps students, were able to learn abundant new vocabularies, but once they were able to play such games, than they may forget about learning the lesson.

As parents or teachers at school, it may be good for them to always monitor their children or students to make sure that the purpose in learning language is still achieved or else they fail. However, learning language must be held in a normal and natural way. It may not normal to force students to memorize some meaningless words and it may not natural to learn English language, for instance, in the classroom. Why don't bring students into such natural situation like reading video games' instructions which was written in English?